Top tips for watering all trees...
- Water 2 - 3 times per week in hot, dry weather
- Use ‘grey’ water if possible – washing up water, bath water etc
- Be aware of any hosepipe bans in place
- Put a full bucket or watering can on at a time quite slowly to make sure it sinks in to the soil
- Pour the water at the base of the tree
If you can - please also...
- Remove any weeds as these will compete with the tree for water
- Lightly dig over the top two inches / 5cm of soil as this will allow the water to drain more easily down to the tree’s roots
- Water at the beginning or the end of the day when the sun is not up as this will help to stop the water evaporating
Remember - watering cans and buckets can be heavy – so be careful!
Especially for street trees...
- Talk to your neighbours to make sure each tree is being watered!